Kenyan government to pay $36,000 each to four women subjected to sexual assault in the violence that followed Kenya’s disputed 2007 election.
A judge ruled that the country had violated their rights when it failed to investigate their cases.
The court on Thursday, December 10, ordered the government to pay $36,000 (£27,000) to each one of the four ladies that were sexually assaulted.
In late December 2007 following Kenya’s election More than 1,000 people died and 500,000 fled from their homes in the inter-ethnic violence that began.
The violence broke out after then-President Mwai Kibaki’s rival “Raila Odinga” said the poll was rigged in 2007.
The Current Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta, who supported Mr Kibaki and his deputy William Ruto who backed Mr Odinga – were both charged by the International Criminal Court with crimes against humanity after they were accused of fuelling the violence.
However the charges were dropped after they denied fuelling violence and involving against criminal activities.
Journalists believe Thursday’s judgment could be a precedent for hundreds of others who were abused in the wake of the election.
Despite some cases of the post electoral violence going to the International Criminal Court, there have been very few prosecutions relating to the unrest after it happened
Rights advocacy group, Physicians for Human Rights, helped the girls with their legal cases saying it hoped to “secure justice for the survivors”.
It said that the ruling was the “first time in Kenya that post-election sexual violence had been legitimately recognised”.